Subject: Glimpse license status
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 23:41:38 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.harvest

Hello Harvest folks

Udi asked me to try and help clear up the confusion about Glimpse
licensing, here is a quick summary of the status as I understand it:

	- Glimpse has actually never been free for commercial use (see your
COPYRIGHT file as far back as 3.6)
	
	- Glimpse is still free for educational, US Gov, and most nonprofit
use.  We're pretty flexible about defining "educational".

	- You're welcome to distribute any version of Glimpse (preferably a
recent one like 4.12.6) as long as you include the COPYRIGHT notice and
don't tell people its free for commercial use.

	- Glimpse can be licensed from the University of Arizona or from
Internet Workshop.  Webglimpse can only be licensed from Internet
Workshop (we maintain it now, and also do some bugfixes for Glimpse). 
Because we mainly sell Webglimpse, we've just been including Glimpse as
a package deal.  But we can be flexible and include a low-cost license
for glimpse specifically for use with Harvest.  If there is any
interest, we'll publish an inexpensive price for a license like that. 
See http://webglimpse.net for the current licensing and download info.

	- We now have authority to exchange commercial licenses for development
work.  So if anyone has problems even with a relatively cheap license,
you can fix a bug or help document something, and we can give you a
license for that.

Hope that helps, and pardon the long message!  Feel free to ask me
individually if you have questions, things of general interest I'll try
to post briefly to the group.

--Golda

------------------------------------------------------------
Golda Velez         [email-masked]	        520-620-6878
Internet Workshop                          http://tucson.com
Webglimpse Search Software             http://webglimpse.net
		~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Help organize the world - index your own corner of the web